One way of making some extra money is to sell your stories to the press. You can earn anywhere in the thousands for sharing your interesting real life stories and experiences. Unfortunately a lot of people will not know where to start and how to price their stories. Below are some points for you to consider before sharing your stories.
Considerations before selling your story
- Do you have a clear idea of the story you want to sell?
- Is the story interesting enough to earn you a lot of cash?
- Do you want your photos to appear with your story? (Not all publications will require photos, but you will get more money if you agree to be photographed)
- How will your friends and family feel about you selling your story?
- Do you have evidence to back up the authenticity of your story?
- Which newspapers or magazines do you want your story to be featured in?
- Do not set your expectation expectations too high.
Once you have given it some thought and still want to go ahead with selling your story you have two routes to take. Approach the newspaper or magazine of your choice directly or approach a press agency. Most of these will however be very busy and for some people dealing with the media can be rather scary. If you are the type of person who can negotiate very well, then you can go ahead and approach them directly but it is highly recommended to use an agent.
Benefits of using a press agency
- Press agencies have experienced and talented journalists who can write your story in a professional way.
- They know how much your story is worth, so getting you the best deal.
- Some press agencies will offer to do the service free of charge.
- Press agencies get paid separately by publication companies for writing stories.
So there are still legitimate ways of making money on the internet and selling your story to the press is one of them. Not only will you have an opportunity to do business in a professional way but also get paid a good amount of money for your story.